FUDDY DUDDY or Professional ?
I have always believed in professionalism. I am little more mature than the average student at Univesity but I still believe there is a time and a place for everything. I don't think that makes me a "Fuddy Duddy". It's time to realize that social consciousness is not a replacement for running to the teacher when you don't like what the kids are playing in the sandbox anymore.
There are no teachers in the real world. Life is difficult, suck it up! This is what needs to be said to the agitants of the class that cannot accept things for what they are. While in University I have had the opportunity to work in many groups. Group work in school is to prepare you for the working world.
In most professions these days there is a certain amount of groupwork that is expected. If not, most likely there will be a time where a group dynamic will play a part in your work day. The days of arbitrily making decisions and attempting to perform a variety of tasks yourself has proven ineffective. Thus, groups or committees are formed.
When working in a group setting one must take into consideration the group as a whole. It is the sum of its parts, truly. It cannot function with one individual it must be about teamwork. Every team, big or small, professional or amateur needs a leader. From countries, to families all groups need a leader. Without guidance it will surely be lost in its endeavours, creating chaos.
This chaos comes in the forms of mild dissension to all out confrontation and the ripping apart of the group. Even though a child will seek independance to maintain a level of security it will also demand leadership. As we mature, this becomes apparent in our teaching culture. We seek guidance, security and a sense of belonging to feel complete.
In the professional world no one cares. It is a matter of getting the job done! On time and on target. The work is the only objective seen by corporations. Whether you got along with each other is irrelevant. You need to find a way to work out differences and become a functioning unit. The goal is the work.
May I suggest also that should tempers flare or issues arise that cannot be handled by the group, a timeout to let cooler heads prevail. If not may I reiterate. Life is difficult, suck it up!
No comments:
Post a Comment